Yashica FX-7 35mm SLR
Yashica FX-7 35mm SLR
Includes Yashica 42-75mm f3.5-4.5 lens.
The Yashica FX-7 is a nice and simple mechanical 35mm film SLR that's compatible with the excellent range of Contax/Yashica mount lenses (including many amazing old Carl Zeiss lenses). The included 50mm f2 Yashica lens is sharp and smooth to focus. The one slightly eccentric design decision with the camera is that you need to tap a button on the back to activate the light meter. I'm guessing it was done this way to conserve battery life.
The camera and lens were tested with film and both sharpness and exposure was very good. In addition, the camera was tested with a shutter speed analyzer and all speeds are verified to be working well. The included Yashica 42-75mm f3.5-4.5 zoom lens is also in good condition. The leatherette is worn off (very typical with late 70s/80s Contax/Yashica SLRs). I personally like the muted denim-like feel and appearance of the remaining covering (see photos), but pre-cut easy-to-install adhesive leather or leatherette coverings for this model are available in wide variety of colors at reasonable prices. Here is an example seller: http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/FX-3/index.php
If you opt for '+ batteries' two new silver oxide cells will be installed; if you choose '+ batteries & film' you'll also get a 24 exposure roll of Fujicolor 200 film.
Note: the Yashica FX-3 and FX-7 are identical cameras except for their colors (black and silver respectively).
- Type: 35mm single-lens reflex camera with focal plane shutter.
- Year Introduced: 1979 *Country of Origin: Japan.
- Construction: Composite top cover and skin with alloy metal internal skeleton, brass or stamped steel bottom plate.
- Negative Size: 24 x 36mm
- Lens Mount: Contax/Yashica bayonet mount.
- Flash Synchronization: Hotshoe mount, synchronizes at 1/125sec. or slower, no TTL flash.
- Self-Timer: Mechanical, 10-sec. delay, mirror prefire feature when activated.
- Shutter: Mechanical, vertical-travel metal blade, focal plane type.
- Shutter Release: Mechanical, threaded for standard remote cable release.
- Shutter Speeds: B (bulb), 1 to 1/1000sec. (12 steps).
- Exposure Metering: Through-the-lens, full-aperture center weighted light metering with SPD cell; manual exposure with LED display; metering range: EV 2-18 (with ASA 100 and 50mm F1.4 lens); ASA 12--1600 film speed range; exposure meter switch activated by pressing the exposure check button.
- Batteries: Two 1.5V alkaline (LR44) or 1.55V silver oxide (SR44) batteries, battery powers only lightmeter.
- Viewfinder: Eye-level, penta-prism type; 92% FOV and 0.91X magnification (with 50mm lens at infinity).
- Focusing Screen: Fixed, diagonal Split-image/microprism. Viewfinder Information: Display of correct exposure, over- and under-exposure with 3 LEDs.
- DOF Preview: None.
- Film Advance: Lever with 130° stroke and 20° stand-off. No power winder or motor drive capability.
- Film Rewind: Film rewind crank.
- Exposure Counter: Additive type, auto reset.
- Dimensions: 135 (W) x 84.5 (H) x 50 (D) mm
- Weight: 445g (without batteries).