Ricoh AF-5D 35mm camera
Ricoh AF-5D 35mm camera
The Ricoh AF-5D is a classic fixed lens point-and-shoot 35mm camera. Quality-wise, it's comparable to its better-known Canon Sure Shot and Nikon One Touch cameras which were its original market competition.
It's overall a very user-friendly camera, but its rewind function is a bit counterintuitive for beginners, here's the description from the manual:
"REWINDING THE FILM
When the end of the film has been reached, an electronic sound will be emitted. Please rewind the film immediately.
1. Push the Film Rewind Release Button on the underside of the camera. (Fig. 23)
2. Push the Film Rewind Switch on the top of the camera in the direction of the arrow. (Fig. 24)
3. As you rewind the film, the Exposure Counter will run backwards. When the "S" appears in the Exposure Counter window, slide the Film Rewind Switch back to its former position. Film rewinding is now completed and
you can unload the film. (Fig. 25) Do not open the back cover until the "S" has appeared in the Exposure Counter window."
Note: The AF-5 and AF-5D are identical cameras except for a date imprinting feature on the 'D' version. We didn't test the date imprinting feature on this camera.
The camera requires 2 x AA batteries (not included). The original leatherette case and lens cap (which attaches to a strap lug) are included.
The camera is in good condition (see photos) with some cosmetic wear from use but is in excellent working order. The camera was tested with film and performed very well both in terms of autofocus and sharpness.
- Type: 35 mm lens shutter type with automatic focusing
- Lens: 38 mm F2.8 Color Rikenon lens, 4 elements 3 groups filter diameter 46 mm
- Focusing: Automatic focusing with pre-focus facility.
- Distance measuring (shooting) range 1 m - 00
- Shutter: Programmed A type electronic shutter.
- Self-timer: Built-in. Operating delay of approx. 10 sees.
- Viewfinder: Albada type with bright frame viewfinder (with parallax correction marks). Magnification: 0.46 X
- Field of View 83%, Diopter Correction Adapter can be attached.
- Viewfinder information: Field of View Frame, Parallax Correction Marks, Auto-Focus Frame, Zone Marks,
- Camera Shake Warning Signal, Flash Ready Lamp.
- Exposure Adjustment: With Cds Photocell, Exposure Coupling Range EV6 - EV17 (ASA 100)
- Film Speed Range: ASA 25 ~ ASA 1000
- Film Advance/Rewind: By electric motor with Film Check Window
- Film Loading: RICOH Auto-Load system
- Exposure Counter: Additive, reversed when rewinding
- Built-in Flash: Flash photography by turning of Flash Unit Switch
- Guide Number: 12 (ASA 100)m. Exposure adjustment through flash-matic system.
- Interval between flashes: About 7 seconds
- Number of shots possible: With new Alkaline batteries (under normal temperatures of 20 C)
- -Without using flash unit: more than 70 rolls of 36 exposure film.
- -When using the flash unit repeatedly: more than 7 rolls of 36 exposure film.
- Power Source: 2 penlight Alkaline batteries or 2 penlight Manganese batteries
- Do not use Nickel Cadmium batteries)
- Dimensions: 129 mm (W) x 79 mm (H) x 55 mm (D)
- Weight: 330 g (without batteries)