Pentax Super Program 35mm film SLR
Pentax Super Program 35mm film SLR
The Pentax Super Program (called the Pentax Super-A in some countries) is a high quality, and very compact Pentax K-mount 35mm SLR. It won the prestigious European Camera of the Year award for 1983-1984. This particular example (serial number 118639) comes with a nice SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2 lens. This is how the Pentax Forum page dedicated to the Super Program/Super-A describes the camera: "[d]isregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications." And indeed it really does pack a lot of features into a small body (including a nice program auto exposure mode and an impressive 1/2000 top shutter speed; and a faster flash sync speed than the LX).
The camera and lens (SMC Pentax A 1:2 50mm) were tested with film and performed perfectly. Everything is in very good aesthetic condition as well except for some paint scuffing (see photos).
If you choose '+ batteries', two 357 silver oxide batteries will be installed; if you choose '+ batteries & film' you'll also get a 24-exposure roll of Fujicolor 200 film.
- Type: 35mm SLR camera with multi-mode automatic exposure controls, electronically-controlled focal plane shutter, and open-aperture center-weighted Through-The-Lens metering. Six Exposure Control Modes: Programmed AE, Aperture-priority AE, Shutter-priority AE, Metered Manual, TTL Auto Flash, and Programmed Auto Flash mode.
- Exposure Control Mode Setting: By using combinations of settings on shutter dial and aperture ring of "A" series lenses.
- Film: 35mm film.
- Format: 24 x 36 mm
- Lens Mount: Pentax KA Bayonet (A Pentax K bayonet mount with electrical contact).
- Shutter: Seiko MFC-E3 vertical-run metal focal-plane shutter, automatic exposure and manual settings electronically-controlled speeds from 15 to 1/2000 sec., 1/1 25 sec., and B. Electro- magnetic shutter release with release button lock.
- Exposure Indication in Viewfinder: Liquid Cristal Display (LCD) Automatic and manual shutter speeds, automatically set lens apertures, exposure factor warning, shutter-speed setting error warning, battery life warning, and Programmed AE indication (P). LCD window illumination.
- External Indication: Automatic and manual shutter speeds, Programmed AE indication (P) and shutter cocked indicator.
- Flash Synchronization: Hot shoe (X-Synch contact, dedicated flash contacts), X-synch at 1/125 sec.
- Dedicated Automatic Flash Coupling: Automatic setting of 1/125 sec. synch speed with dedicated
- Self-Timer: Electronically controlled, delay time indication by flashing lamp and electronic buzzer, approx. 12 sec. delay time, possible to cancel at any time; initiate process by pressing shutter release button. *Viewfinder: Silver-coated pentaprism finder with split-image/microprism focusing screen; shows 92% of the picture area, 0.82X magnification with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.1 Diopter eyepiece.
- Mirror: Back-swing type instant-return mirror.
- Film loading: Magic-needle loading. Film Transport: Single-stroke, rapid wind lever with 135 throw and 30 standoff angle; LCD shutter cocked indicator; film advance and rewind indicator window.
- Accepts Winder ME Il, Motor Drive A.
- Exposure Counter: Additive type, automatic resetting. Automatically sets shutter-speed at 1/1000 sec. up to 'O' frame on the counter when shutter dial is set at AUTO or M.
- Film Rewind: Crank type.
- Exposure Metering: Open aperture, Through-The-Lens, center weighted, average area metering system with GPD cell. Film-plane Metering for dedicated automatic electronic flashes. Metering Range: EV 1 (f/l .4 1 sec.) — EV 19 (f/16, 1/2000 sec. or f/22, 1/1000 sec.) with 50mm f/1.4 lens and ASA/ISO 100 film. ASA/ISO Range: 6 — 3200.
- Exposure Compensation Exposure: Compensation dial indexed at 4X, 2X, 1 X, 1/2X and 1/4X.
- Depth-of-Field Preview: Via depth-of-field preview lever when aperture set manually.
- Power Source: Two 1.5V alkaline or silver-oxide batteries, or one 3V lithium battery. Metering Circuit Main Switch: Switched on by shutter release button and remains on for about 30 sec., shut-off by built-in timer. Battery Warning: When batteries grow weak, LCD alternately flashes exposure designations and '000' sign. When batteries exhausted, LCDs go blank and shutter locks.
- Back Cover: Standard camera back with spring catch, built-in memo holder/grip, fully interchangeable with Dial Data ME and Digital Data M. Size & Weight: 131mm x 86.5mm x 47.5mm, 490g (body only, without batteries) 1 31 mm x 86.5mm x 84.5mm, 725g (with f/ 1.4 lens, without batteries)