Pentax Espio 738 35mm camera
Pentax Espio 738 35mm camera
The Pentax Espio 738 is a compact 35mm point-and-shoot camera with a high quality 38-70mm zoom lens. This camera was also sold as the IQ-Zoom EZY. The Espio series, in our opinion, some of the best quality affordable point-and-shoot cameras of the mid-90s to early aughts. Their convenient zoom lens offers image quality that rivals much more expensive fixed lens cameras.
The camera requires a CR123 lithium battery (optional).
The camera was tested with a battery and film installed and all functions are working well (we didn't develop the film). We verified the film plane focus accuracy on an autocollimator. The camera is in excellent aesthetic condition (see photos).
Here are some photos that other people have taken with this model of camera:
(it is labelled 'IQZoom Ezy' which is the identical camera but given this different name markets outside of North American):
- Type: 35mm fully automatic leaf-shutter with built-in zoom lens and auto flash
- Film: Auto film speed setting with 35mm perforated DX-codcd film with ISO rating from 25-1600 (1EV step). Non-DX coded films are automatically set to ISO25
- Format: , Film loading: 24 X 36mm
- Auto film loading. Closing the back cover will automatically wind the film to first exposure.
- Film winding: Auto film-winding, single frame advance mode.
- Film rewinding: Auto start at the end of roll. Auto stop upon completion of rewinding. Rewinding time:approx. 20 sec. with 24-exposure film. Rewinding in mid-roll provided. Rewinding in mid-roll provided.
- Frame number: Automatic readout of successive frame numbers in ascending order when shooting, and descending order when rewinding.
- Lens: Pentax power zoom 38-70mm f/4.8-8.5 5 elements in 5 groups, Angle of view: 59° —34.5°.
- Focusing system: Pentax infrared active autofocusing with focus lock, Range: 0.6m(2ft)-infinity.
- Maximum magnification approx. 1/7.6X. Focus lock is provided.
- Zooming: Electronic zoom
- Shutter: Programmed AE electronic shutter with speed approx.1/320-1/3 sec. Bulb. Electromagnetic release.
- Self-timer: Electronic red lamp indication. Approx. 10 sec. Cancellation after activation is possible.
- Viewfinder: Albada-bright frame. 83% of field of view ratio. Magnification: 0.39X (38mm WIDE) - 0.66X(70mm TELE), Picture frame, Close distance compensation frame, Green lamp lighting ( O ): possible to take a picture, Green lamp blinking: When subject is too close and/or flash is being charged.
- Exposure control: Programmed auto-exposure control. Range: EV10-EV17 at 38mm WIDE.EV11.5-EV18.5 at 70mm TELE in Auto or Daylight-Synchro mode (ISO 400), EV8.O-EV17 at 38mm WIDE EV8.O-EV18.5 at 70mm in Slow- Sh utter-Speed mode,
- Backlight compensation: + 1.5EV
- Flash: Built-in flash with red-eye reduction mode, Automatic flash emission in low- luminance, Flash ON = Day-light Synchro/Slow-Shutter-Speed Synchro (up to 1/3 sec.), Flash-OFF — Flash override, Bulb-Synchro,
- Flash effective range: 0.6-7.0m (38mm WIDE), 0.6-4.0m (70mm TELE) (ISO 400 film used).
- Flash recycling time: Approx. 5 sec. under Pentax testing conditions.
- Battery source: One lithium battery CR123A or the equivalent
- Battery life: Approx. 15 rolls of 24-exposurc film when 50% of shooting uses flash (under Pentax testing conditions)
- Size & Weight: 134(W)x 74(H)x 47.5(D)mm (5.3'x2.9'xl.9*) 240g(8.5oz) without battery
- DATE model:
- Date mechanism:
- Imprinting mode: Crystal quartz controlled; LCD with digital clock, auto calendar up to 2019. “Year,Month and Day”, “Day,Hour and Minutes”, “— blank”, “Month, Day and Year” or “Day, Month and Year”.
- Size & Weight: 134(W)x 74(H)x 50(D)mm (5.3"x2.9"x2.0') 250g(8.8oz) without battery