Nikon Zoom Touch 500 35mm camera
Nikon Zoom Touch 500 35mm camera
The Nikon Zoom Touch 500 (called the TW Zoom in some countries) is a high quality 35mm point-and-shoot camera from the late 1980s. This was a very innovative and technologically advanced camera when it was new, Nikon described it as a 25 year "dream come true" for the company's engineers in this essay. And it's still a very capable camera today.Here's how Popular Photography described the camera in 1988:
Nikon enters the hotly contested point-and-shoot zoom 35 arena with the feature-laden Zoom-Touch 500, an elegant autofocus model with a multifunctional 35-80mm f/3.5-7.8 power-zoom lens. Naturally, the 500 features autowind and rewind, autoflash, DX coding from ISO 64 to 1600, and what Nikon calls an "auto ready lens cover" that opens automatically when power is turned on.
Other nice touches include focusing to 27 inches, continuous or five-step zooming, and a comprehensive, top-mounted LCD panel with frame counter and indicators for battery power, self-timer, flash mode, continuous shooting mode (0.6 sec per frame), zoom mode, and image-size selector. In this last mode, you choose a head-to-toe, waist-up, or head-and-shoulders portrait by pressing a button, and the camera’s lens automatically zooms to your preselected image size.
If that's not enough, the Zoom-Touch will also shoot three-frame zoom sequences automatically, either in wide, normal, or tele sequence or vice versa, to swiftly give you a variety of views.
Can there be more, you ask? The camera also features a built-in zoom autoflash that fires when needed, a one-or two-shot self-timer, 24-step autofocus, focus lock via the shutter button, 6-volt lithium power, and a wide autoexposure range from EV 4 to 16 at ISO 100.
The Zoom Touch 500 requires a CRP2 lithium battery (available as an option).
The camera was tested with a battery and film installed and performed well (the film was not developed). The camera is very good cosmetic condition (see photos).
Here are some pictures that other people have taken with this model of camera:
- Type of Camera: 35mm compact camera with Nikon zoom 35mm f/3.5 ~ 80mm f/7.8 lens; features include autofocus, auto exposure, auto flash, auto flash exposure, auto shutter lock, auto film loading, auto film speed setting, auto film advance, auto film rewind, auto film rewind stop and auto ready lens cover
- Picture Format: 24mm x 36mm (standard 35mm format)
- Lens: 35mm f/3.5 — 80mm f/7.8 — 9 elements in 7 groups
- Lens Cover: Opens or closes automatically with power switch
- Shooting Distance: 0.71m (approx. 2.3 ft) ~ infinity
- Film Speed Setting: Automatically set to ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 1000, 1600 with DX-coded film; non DX-coded films are automatically set to ISO 100
- Shutter: Programmed electronic shutter; also serves as diaphragm blades
- Viewfinder: Reverse Galilean Albada-type bright-frame viewfinder; 0.44X~ 0.9X magnification automatically selected and set by motor; finder coverage is 80% or more; frame coverage is — 1 diopter
- Zoom Operation: Single-frame shooting, with or without zoom; continuous shooting without zoom; continuous zoom shooting (automatic consecutive shooting in three steps); step zoom shooting (selectable 5-step zooming); image size selection for full-body, half-body or head and shoulders
- Focusing: Active infrared autofocus system (0.71m [approx. 2.3ft] - infinity); lightly pressing shutter release button locks focus
- Auto Exposure Range: EV 4 ~ EV 16 at 35mm setting EV 6.2 ~ EV 16 at 80mm setting (at ISO 100)
- Film Loading: Film automatically advances to first frame when camera back is closed
- Film Advance: Automatic, at approx. 0.6 seconds per frame
- Film Rewinding: Automatic rewinding when end of film roll is reached; approx. 17 sec.* per 24-exposure roll; stops automatically when film is rewound; mid-roll rewind button
- Frame Counter: Additive type; automatically resets when camera back is opened; counts back while film is rewinding
- Self-Timer: Activated by depressing self-timer button and shutter release button; locks focus and exposure; 10-second delay with indicator lamp; two-shot self-timer and timer interval control (from 5 to 30 sec.) possible; cancellable
- Built-in Flash: Fires at user selection or auto-matically if existing light is insufficient for normal shooting; ready-light; shutter locks if flash is not charged; recycling time approx. 3 sec.*; flash guide number (ISO 100) of GN41(ft) or GN12.5(meters) at 35mm setting, to GN46(ft) or GN14(meters) at 80mm setting
- LCD Panel: Film counter; battery power indicator; continuous shooting indicator; flash mode indicator; self-timer indicator; continuous zoom indicator; step zoom indicator; image size indicator; exposure compensation indicator, focal length scale
- Battery Life: Approx. 30* rolls of 24-expo-sure film w/50% flash
- Power Source: Lithium battery pack (Duracell DL223A 6V or Panasonic CR-P2 6V)
- Dimensions: Approx. 136.8mm(W) x 73mm(H) x 57.8mm(D) (Zoom-Touch 500) Approx. 5.4 in x 2.9 in x 2.3 in Approx. 136.8mm(W) x 73mm(H) x 61.3mm(D) (Zoom-Touch 500 QUARTZ DATE) Approx. 5.4 in x 2.9 in x 2.4 in
- Weight: Approx. 360g (Zoom-Touch 500 without battery) Approx. 12.7 oz Approx. 370g (Zoom-Touch 500 QUARTZ DATE without batteries) Approx. 13 oz