Canon T70 35mm SLR with 50mm f1.8 lens and ever-ready case
Canon T70 35mm SLR with 50mm f1.8 lens and ever-ready case
The Canon T70 is an FD-mount 35mm film SLR from the mid 1980s. It was the middle model in the company's integrated film-motor T series (with the tank-like T90 being the pro model and the ultra-simple T50 the basic option). It's a very underrated camera with four very handy auto exposure modes (standard program; tele program, wide angle program, and shutter priority) plus metered manual exposure. Owing to its vertical travelling, the T70 attains a higher flash sync speed (1/90) than the earlier A and F series SLRs. Its plastic outer skin hides the fact it's built with a solid metal chassis underneath.
The included lens is a sharp and fast standard Canon FD 50mm f1.8.
The T70 requires two normal AA batteries (not included) for power. The battery life is excellent--the manual estimates a pair of alkaline AAs is good for sixty 24 exposure rolls (battery capacity is somewhat less in very cold weather).
The camera (serial number 1911012), and lens are in very good condition (see photos). The camera was film tested and delivered sharp, correctly exposed photos. The included ever-ready case is in serviceable condition but has significant wear (see photos).
- Type: 35 mm single lens reflex (SLR) camera with electronically controlled automatic exposure (AE) and focal-plane shutter. Wind/rewind fully automatic.
- Format: 24 x 36 mm
- Exposure modes: Multiprogram AE (Standard program, Tele program, Wide program), shutter priority AE with safety shift function, manual, stopped-down AE (only for lenses without AE signal pins.), program flash AE and electronic flash AE (with Canon Speedlite 277T).
- Usable lenses: Canon FD lenses (full aperture metering) and non-FD lenses (stopped-down metering).
- Viewfinder: Fixed eye-level pentaprism without condenser. Gives 92% vertical and horizontal coverage of actual picture area and 0.85x magnification at infinity with a standard 50 mm lens.
- Finder information: Displayed to the right of viewing area.
- 4 point LED: P lights up steadily when camera is in the program mode and exposure is correct. Flashes at 2 Hz to give camera-shake warning.*lights to indicate AE lock. V lights when the flash is fully charged. M flashes at 4 Hz to indicate manual setting.
- 2 digital display: Indicates aperture setting in shutter-priority AE and program AE. Indicates shutter speed setting in stopped-down AE. (High shutter speeds are abbreviated so that 1/125-1/350 sec become HL, and 1/500- 1/1000 sec become HH. Display flashes at 8 Hz to indicate over and underexposure. Display flashes at 2 Hz when safety shift function is operating during shutter-priority AE.
- Selective area metering range mark. (In center of screen)
- Dioptric adjustment: Built-in eyepiece is adjusted to standard — 1 diopter.
- Mirror: Quick return type with shock and noise absorber.
- Eyepiece cap: Stored in the shoulder pad of the neckstrap.
- Light metering system: Through-the-lens (TTL) full aperture metering (for FD lenses), using silicon photocell (SPC). Two selectable weighting patterns, center-weighted average metering and selective area metering. (Selective area metering can only be used with AE lock.) (When using lenses or accessories without AE signal pins, only stopped-down metering may be used.)
- Meter coupling range: With ISO 100/21°, ASA 100 film and a 50 mm f/1.4 lens: EV 1 — 19.
- Film speed: ISO 12/12°-IS01600/33°, ASA 12-ASA 1600 (in 1/3 steps). Displayed on the LCD panel when pressing the ISO button.
- Exposure reading: Exposure can be checked by pressing exposure preview button, or by pressing shutter button halfway.
- Shutter: Vertical travel electromagnetic attraction focal-plane shutter (EMAS).
- Shutter speeds: Automatic: 1/1000 sec-2 sec. Manual: 12 settings, 1/1000, I/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 sec and Bulb. (X-sync = 1/90 sec.)
- Self-timer: Electronically controlled, with a delay of approx. 10 sec.
- Camera-shake warning: The P mark in the finder flashes at 2 Hz during program AE mode operations for the following shutter speeds: Standard program:1/60 sec or slower. Tele program: 1 /125 sec or slower. Wide program: 1 /30 sec or slower.
- Film loading and first frame positioning: Automatic. After the film has been positioned and the back cover closed, the film is automatically advanced to the 1st usable frame and then automatically stopped. Three blank frames are advanced. The frame counter display then reads II 4 II
- Film wind: Automatic using built-in motor, enabling continuous shooting. Confirmation by floating bar marks on LCD panel. When the end of the film is reached, the film-load indicator and the frame counter number on the LCD panel start blinking. A beeping sound is also emitted.
- Film rewind: Automatic using built-in motor. Automatic stop after film has been rewound into the cartridge. Rewind completion is indicated on LCD panel.
- Frame counter: Shown on the LCD panel. Additive type with numbers 1-39, counts down during film rewind.
- Back cover: Removable, with memo holder. Opened by sliding latch with safety lock.
- Flash contact: Coupled directly to the camera by means of the X-contact on the accessory shoe.
- Automatic flash: Program flash AE: With the Speed- lite 277T. After sending out an infrared preflash to judge the distance and the reflectivity of the subject, the 277T sets the aperture and 1 /90 sec shutter speed automatically. When out of shooting distance range (too far away), a warning is given, indicated by the aperture value flashing in the viewfinder.
- Electronic flash AE: With the 277T in “F.NO. SET" mode, or with other Canon Speedlites,
- shutter speed is set automatically to X-sync and aperture to the f/stop that has been set on the flash.
- Power source: Main power source: Two AA size (3V) batteries. Alkaline batteries are standard but carbon-zinc and Ni-Cd batteries may also be used. Memory back-up: Built-in lithium battery (BR-1225 or CR-1220), battery life is approx. 5 years.
- Power switch: The power is turned OFF by setting the main switch to "LOCK."
- Battery check: By pressing the battery check (BC) button. Three energy levels are shown by bar marks on the LCD.
- Remote control: Possible. With three-terminal contact for remote control. Remote Switch 60 T3 is required.
- Dimensions: 151 (W)x89.2 (H) X48.4 (D) mm (5-15/16" x 3-1/2"x 1-7/8")
- Weight: 530 g (18-11 /16 oz) body only.