Canon Sure Shot Owl
Canon Sure Shot Owl
The Canon Sure Shot Owl (called the Sure Shot AF-7 or Prima AF-7 in some countries) is a well-designed 1990s compact 35mm camera with a nice, sharp fixed 35mm f/3.8 lens. This camera requires two ordinary AA batteries (not included).
Here's the description from the Canon Museum: "Based on the single-focal-length BF 35 camera, this is an advanced model with 3-step autofocusing with one center point and a near-infrared beam. The built-in flash has an auto mode as well as an on/off switch. The film transport has also been improved with the film rewind noise level reduced by about half. Also, about 20 percent more rolls of film can be shot with a new set of batteries.
All camera features were tested with a battery and film installed (the film was not developed) and is working great. The camera is excellent good aesthetic condition (see photos) and its original case is included.
Here are some photos taken by other people with this model of camera:
Canon Museum entry
- Type: Fully automatic 35mm Lens-Shutter autofocus camera
- Picture Size: 24×36 mm
- AF System: Three-step autofocus with near-infrared beam. 0.8 m to infinity.
- Lens: 35mm f/4.5 (3 elements in 3 groups)
- Shutter: Electromagnetic four-speed programmed shutter and aperture. With flash off: No higher than EV 10.5 (f/4.5 at 1/70 sec.). At ISO 100: EV 10.5 – EV 12 (f/4.5 at 1/100 sec.), EV 12 – 14 (f/6.6 at 1/125 sec.), EV 14 – EV 16 (f/11 at 1/180 sec.). Built-in electronic self-timer (with blinking red-eye reduction lamp), cancelable midway.
- Viewfinder: Reversed Galilean viewfinder. 0.68x magnification and 84% coverage. OK-to-Shoot lamp on the right (also functions as in-focus indicator).
- EE: CdS cell for full-auto simple program EE. Film speeds of ISO 100/200 and 400 (automatic switching) with DX code.
- Built-in Flash: Guide No. 9 (at ISO 100 in meters). Fires automatically in low-light conditions. Flash off/on switch provided.
- Autodate feature: Auto calendar programmed up to the year 2030. (Automatic correction for leap months and years.)
- Power Source: Two 1.5 V size-AA batteries
- Film Loading & Advance: After opening camera back, align film leader at mark, then close the camera back for auto loading. Automatic film advance with built-in motor. Film advance speed: 1 fps.
- Frame Counter: Counts up. Resets automatically when camera back is opened.
- Film Rewind: Automatic rewind with built-in motor. Midroll rewind enabled.
- Dimensions & Weight: 123 x 76 x 48 mm, 250 g