Canon Prima Zoom 85N camera (serial 3964716)
Canon Prima Zoom 85N camera (serial 3964716)
This is a later and high quality model in the Canon Sure Shot series of point-and-shoot 35mm cameras. The Prima Zoom 85 is the European branding of this model; the camera was called the Sure Shot 85 Zoom in North America and the Autoboy Luna 85 in Japan.
Here's the description from the Canon Museum:
"A compact 35mm camera equipped with 38-85mm 2.2x zoom lens which includes an aspherical lens element to deliver high contrast and sharp images throughout the entire zoom range. An advanced 3-point AiAF autofocus system also ensures outstanding results, even when the main subject is not located in the center of the frame. Other features include an RT (Real Time) release mode, which enables users to capture the decisive moment in any shooting situation, as well as standard and panorama (Japanese model only, with date imprint) picture formats while shooting on the same roll of film. A Mode Dial located on the top of the camera puts all of the operation functions, including the OFF switch and six different shooting modes, at the user’s fingertips. The camera has a stylish thin, flat-body design."
This camera requires a CR123 battery (available as an option).
All camera features were tested with a battery and film installed (the film was not developed) and in addition the film plane focus was verified on an autocollimator. The camera is also in very good cosmetic condition (see photos) with the only noteworthy blemish being a small chip on battery door hinge that we repaired with epoxy putty.
Here are some photos taken by other people with this model of camera: https://www.lomography.com/cameras/3346383-canon-sure-shot-85-zoom/photos
Canon museum entry
- Type: 35mm fully automatic lens-shutter camera with built-in zoom
- Image Size: 24 x 36 mm
- Lens: Canon 38mm-85mm f/4.2-8.7
- Focus Control: Ai active auto-focus system
- Shooting Distance: 0.6 m (2 ft.) to infinity
- Shutter: Electromagnetic drive shutter with combinable programs
- Viewfinder: Real-image zoom viewfinder
- Viewfinder Displays: Picture frame, close-up frame, AF frame
- Viewfinder Eyepiece Area: Green indicator (ready for shooting/close-range warning), Orange indicator (camera shake warning/flash charged)
- Film Loading: Automatic (automatic blank film advance)
- Film Winding: Automatic
- Film Rewinding: Automatic at end of film, mid-roll rewinding possible
- Frame Counter: Counts up during winding, counts down during rewinding
- Film Loaded Verification: Film window on back cover
- Self-timer: Electronically-controlled 10-second delay timer, activated by pressing the shutter button. The self-timer lamp blinks and the frame counter counts down the remaining seconds.
- Metering Range (ISO 100):
- Auto/Flash ON modes
- Wide: 1/36 f/4.2 to 1/500 f/16 (approx. EV9.3 to EV17)
- Tele: 1/83 f/8.7 to 1/500 f/34 (approx. EV12.6 to EV19.2) Flash OFF mode
- Wide: 2 sec. f/4.2 to 1/500 f/16 (approx. EV3.1 to EV17)
- Tele: 2 sec. f/8.7 to 1/500 f/34 (approx. EV5.2 to EV19.2)
- Self-timer mode (Auto + Slow-synchro)
- Wide: 1/2 f/4.2 to 1/500 f/16 (less than EV9.3;
- slow-synchro, EV9.3 to EV17 ; using AE)
- Tele: 1/2 f/8.7 to 1/500 f/34 (less than EV12.6;
- slow-synchro, EV12.6 to EV19.2 ; using AE)
- Film Speed Setting: ISO 25 to 3200; DX-coded film set in one-step increments
- Built-in Flash: Built-in retractable flash, automatically fires in low light conditions.
- Flash Range:
- ISO 100 Wide: 0.6 to 5.3 m (2 to 17.4 ft.)
- Tele: 0.6 to 2.5 m (2 to 8.2 ft.)
- ISO 400 Wide: 0.6 to 10.6 m (2 to 34.8 ft.)
- Tele: 0.6 to 5 m (2 to 16.4 ft.)
- Flash Recycling Time: Approx. 5 seconds (using a new battery)
- Flash Mode Selection: Dial operated
- Auto mode without red-eye reduction: Automatically fires in low light conditions
- (Auto mode with red-eye reduction:
- Automatically fires in low light conditions
- Flash ON mode: Always fires
- Flash OFF mode: No flash
- Self-timer mode: Automatically fires in low light conditions (with slow-synchro)
- Real-time release mode: Automatically fires in low light conditions, no red-eye reduction, single-point center focusing, release time lag of 0.03 sec.
- Power Supply: One lithium battery (DL123A or CR123A, 3V)
- Shooting Capacity: Approx. 17 rolls of 24-exp. film, at normal temperatures with 50% flash use.
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- Model without date: 123 x 64 x 41.8 mm (4.8 x 2.5 x 1.6 in)
- Model with date: 123 x 64 x 46 mm (4.8 x 2.5 x 1.8 in)
- Weight (without camera battery):
- Model without date: 215 g (7.6 oz.)
- Model with date: 225 g (7.9 oz.)