Pentax Espio 738S 35mm camera
Pentax Espio 738S 35mm camera
The Pentax Espio 738S is a compact 35mm point-and-shoot camera with a high quality 38-70mm zoom lens. This camera was also sold as the IQ-Zoom EZY-S. It's very similar to the earlier plain 738 and 738G models (the main difference being the body style). The Espio 738 series are, in our opinion, some of the best quality affordable point-and-shoot cameras of the late 90s and early aughts. Their convenient zoom lens offers image quality that rivals much more expensive fixed lens cameras.
The camera requires a CR123 lithium battery (optional).
If you opt for '+ battery' it will be a new CR123A 3 volt lithium battery; if you choose '+ battery & film' you'll also get a 24 exposure roll of Fujicolor 200 film.
The camera was tested with a battery and film installed and all functions are working well (we didn't develop the film). We verified the film plane focus accuracy on an autocollimator. The camera is in excellent aesthetic condition (see photos).
Here are some photos that other people have taken with this model of camera:
- Type:35mm fully automatic leaf-shutter with built-in zoom lens and auto flash
- Film: Auto film speed setting with 35mm perforated DX-coded film with ISO rating from 25-3200 (1EV step). Non-DX coded films are automatically set to ISO25
- Format: 24 x 36mm
- Film loading: Auto film loading. Closing the back cover will automatically wind the film to first exposure.
- Film winding: Auto film-winding, single frame advance mode.
- Film rewinding: Auto start at the end of roll. Auto stop upon completion of rewinding. Rewinding time:approx. 20 sec. with 24-exposure film. Rewinding in midroll provided.
- Frame number: Automatic readout of successive frame numbers in ascending order when shooting, and descending order when rewinding
- Lens: Pentax power zoom 38-70mm f/4.8-8.5 5 elements in 5 groups Angle of view: 59° - 34.5°
- Focusing system:Pentax infrared active autofocusing with focus lock. Range: 0 8m (2 6ft)- mfinity. Maximum magnification approx. 0.1 OX. Focus lock is provided
- Zooming: Electronic zoom in four positions.
- Shutter: Programmed AE electronic shutter with speed approx. 1/300 - 2 sec. Bulb. Electromagnetic release.
- Self-timer: Electronic red lamp indication. Approx. 10 sec. Cancellation after activation is possible.
- Viewfinder: Actual image zoom viewfinder. 83% of field of view ratio. Magnification 0.42X (38mm WIDE) - 0.69 X (70mm TELE), Diopter: -1m Autofocus frame, Picture frame, Close distance compensation frame, Green lamp lighting ( O ): possible to take a picture, Green lamp blinking; When subject is too close and / or flash is being charged.
- Exposure control: Proqrammed auto-exposure control.
- Range: EV10-EV17 at 38mm WIDE EV12.5-EV19 at 70mm TELE in Auto or Daylight-Synchro mode (ISO 400), EV8.0-EV17 at 38mm WIDE EV8.0-EV19 at 70mm in Slow- Shutter-Speed mode,
- Backlight compensation:+1.5EV
- Flash: Built-in flash with red-eye reduction mode, Automatic flash emission mi low luminance, Flash ON=Day-light Synchro/Slow-Shutter-Speed Synchro (up to 2 sec.), Flash-OFF=Flash override, Bulb-Synchro
- Flash effective range: 0.8-7.0m (38mm WIDE), 0.8-4.0m (70mm TELE) (ISO 400 film used).
- Flash recycling time: Approx. 7 sec. under Pentax testing conditions.
- Battery source:One lithium battery CR123A or the equivalent
- Battery life:Approx. 15 rolls of 24-exposure film when 50% of shooting uses flash (under Pentax testing conditions)