Canon EOS 650 35mm SLR w/EF 28mm f2.8 lens (serial 1051453)
Canon EOS 650 35mm SLR w/EF 28mm f2.8 lens (serial 1051453)
The Canon EOS 650 was a revolutionary camera when it came out in 1987 and it's still an outstanding picture-taker today. Along with its sibling model, the EOS 620, this is the first Canon camera to support the EF lens mount (still used today on Canon's digital SLRs).
The included Canon EF 28mm f2.8 lens is a very compact, lightweight, and sharp wide-angle prime. This is the 1987 version featuring an aspherical front lens element. This version is preferred by many over the currently available IS version. The site Imaging-Resource.com did lab tests on both versions and noted "the older [1987 version] 28mm is now discontinued, but our test of this lens shows it is in fact a fair deal sharper - you can achieve tack-sharp images with the older model that you can't quite get with the newer. "
This camera requires a 2CR5 lithium battery (available as an option).
Both the camera and included lens are in very good condition (see photos); we tested all camera features. The shutter speeds and autoexposure were very accurate in our testing.
Canon Museum entry
- Type: 35mm autofocus, single-lens reflex camera with electronically-controlled automatic exposure, focal plane shutter, and built-in motor drive.
- Format: 24x36mm
- Usable Lenses: Canon EF lenses (full aperture metering only)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF Mount (electronic signal transfer system)
- Viewfinder: Fixed eye-level pentaprism. Gives 94% vertical and horizontal coverage of actual picture area, and 0.8X magnification at infinity with a standard 50mm lens.
- Dioptric Adjustment: Built-in eyepiece is adjusted to standard -1 diopter, (eyepoint: 19.3mm)
- Focusing Screen: Overall new laser-matte/AF frame. Six types of interchangeable screens are available optionally.
- Mirror: Quick-return half-mirror with shock and noise absorber.
- Viewfinder Information:
- Displayed at the bottom of the viewing area.
- (1) 7-segment LCD digit and character display
- 1. Shutter speed-flashes at 2Hz to give out-of-metering range warning.
- 2. Aperture value-flashes at 2Hz to give out-of-metering range warning.
- 3. Metered manual exposure level—OP, oo, CL
- 4. Depth of field AE (EOS 650 only)—dEP 1, dEP 2
- (2) LCD mask character display
- 1. * -AE lock indicator in partial metering mode.
- 2. M-Manual exposure indicator
- 3. -flash charge completion indicator
- 4. +/----exposure compensation indicator
- 5. • — AF in-focus indicator (flashes at 8Hz when AF is not possible.)
- Light Metering System:
- TTL full aperture metering using SPC. Two selectable metering patterns: evaluative metering and partial metering (approx. 6.5% of the picture area). Stopped-down metering is not possible.
- Exposure Modes:
- 1. Shutter-Priority AE
- 2. Aperture-Priority AE
- 3. Intelligent Program AE
- 6. Manual
- 7. Flash AE (A-TTL program flash AE and TTL program flash AE with specified Canon Speedlites)
- Camera-shake Warning:
- Operates for program AE, aperture-priority AE, and the EOS 650’s depth of field AE modes. When automatically set shutter speed falls 0 to 0.5 steps below 1/focal length of the lens in use, the electronic beeper sounds. Beeper can also be turned on and off.
- Metering Coupling Range:
- EV 1—20 (EV —1 to 20 in normal temperature) with 50mm f/1.4 at ISO 100 or equivalent.
- Film Speed: ISO 25-5000 is automatically set by 1/3 step according to DX code standard. ISO 6-6400 can also be set manually.
- Exposure Compensation:
- ±5 steps by 1/2-step increment
- AF Control System:
- TTL-SIR (TTL secondary imaged registration) phase-detection type using BASIS(base- stored image sensor). AF operation starts when the shutter button is pressed halfway. AF in-focus indicator lights upon ranging completion. Audible indicator (electronic beeper) can be turned on and off.
- Three selectable modes:
- 1. ONE SHOT: AF operation ends and focus is locked once ranging is completed. Shutter does not release until ranging is completed.
- 2. SERVO: Focus continuously adjusts to follow the subject movement. Shutter can be released at any time regardless of ranging completion.
- 3. Manual: By rotating the manual focusing ring after focus mode switch is set to “M”.
- AF Working Range: EV 1 —18 at ISO 100
- AF Auxiliary Light:
- The ultra-bright red LED (peak sensitivity: 700 nm) is automatically projected with specified Canon Speedlites.
- Vertical-travel focal plane shutter with soft-touch electromagnetic release. All speeds electronically controlled.
- Shutter Speed:
- EOS 650—1/2000—30 secs and bulb. X-sync is 1/125 sec. Can be set in 1/2-step increments.
- Self-timer: Electronically controlled with a delay of approx. 10 secs indicated by blinking LED operation confirmation lamp.
- Film Loading: After film positioning and back cover closure, the. film automatically advances to the first usable frame and then stops (approx. 1.5 secs)
- Film Wind: Automatic using the built-in miniature motor. Confirmation by the film transport bar marks in the display panel.
- Film Winding Mode: Two selectable modes; S (single exposure) and C (continuous exposure at the maximum speed of approx, three frames per second).
- Film Rewind: Automatic using the built-in miniature motor. Starts when the film end is reached and then stops (with 24-exp. film, approx. 10 secs with the EOS 650 and approx. 7 secs with the EOS 620). Mid-roll rewind performed by pressing the film rewind button.
- Flash Contact: Coupled directly to the camera by X-sync contact on the accessory shoe. Automatic Flash (using the Speedlite 420EZ/ 300EZ with the camera set to “P”): A-TTL flash auto-Using the camera’s A-TTL program and the flash’s near-infrared preflash, the correct aperture value is automatically set. X-sync speed is also automatically set between 1/60 and 1/125 sec with the EOS 650 and between 1/60 and 1/250 sec with the EOS 620 upon flash charge completion. TTL control system which meters the light reflected from the film surface. Automatic fill-in flash is possible.
- Grip: Interchangeable.
- The GR30 (without remote control terminal) is standard with the EOS 650.
- The GR20 (with remote control terminal) is standard with the EOS 620.
- The large-size, Grip GR10 is available optionally.
- LCD Display Panel: Displays only the information required at the time, e.g. shooting mode, film winding mode, AF mode, shutter speed, aperture value, film speed, or battery check. Timer function for eight secs is provided; the display is held on for eight secs after the switch i.e„ shutter button is pressed. The EOS 620’s display panel can be illuminated by electroluminescence.
- Power Source: One, six-volt lithium battery pack (2CR5). Battery is replaced by removing grip.
- Battery Check: By pressing the battery check button. Three energy levels are shown by the battery check bar marks in the display panel.
- Back Cover:
- Interchangeable. Opened by sliding the latch with safety lock. Quartz Date Back E and Technical Back E can be attached.
- Dimensions: 148(W) x 108.3(H) x 67.5(D) mm (5-13/16" x 4-1/4" x 2-5/8")
- Weight: EOS 650—660g (23-5/16 oz.) body only EOS 620—700g (24-11/16 oz.) body only