Canon EOS Elan 7E 35mm SLR w/ EF 28-80mm lens + original manual
Regular price $250.00
The Canon EOS Elan 7E is an outstanding 35mm SLR originally from the year 2000. Marketed as a 'prosumer' or enthusiast camera, it was also widely used by professionals who appreciated its pro-level features and quiet operation.
We found the Elan 7E to be a pleasure to use in testing. Its logically laid-out controls made it simple to get started without the cracking the manual but advanced features abound for more creative photography. For instance, the optional 'eye focus' feature, which takes a moment to calibrate to your eyesight, is a wonderful and fast way to focus on subjects that are off-centre in your compositions.
The included Canon EF 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 II is a lightweight general purpose lens.
This camera requires two CR123 lithium batteries (available as an option).
We film tested this camera and it performed superbly, with accurate focus and perfect exposures on all the negatives. The camera and lens are in very good cosmetic condition as well (see photos) with only minor wear from use. The original manual is also included.
Canon Museum entry
- Type: 35mm AF/AE single-lens reflex camera with focal-plane shutter and built-in motor drive, flash, and auto date back.
- Image size: 24 mm x 36 mm
- Compatible lenses: Canon EF lenses
- Lens mount: Canon EF mount (electronic control)
- Type: Fixed eye-level pentaprism
- Picture coverage: 90% vertical and 92% horizontal coverage
- Eyepoint: 19.5 mm
- Magnification: 0.70x (-1 diopter with 50mm lens at infinity)
- Standard diopter: -1 diopter
- Dioptric Adjustment: Built-in, -2.5 to +0.5 dpt.
- Focusing screen: Fixed, New Laser-matte focusing screen with focusing points
- Mirror: Quick -return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60). (no mirror cut off with EF 600mm f/4L IS USM or shorter lens.)
- Viewfinder information: (1) On the screen: Focusing points
- (2) Below the screen: Shutter speed, aperture (FEL, DEP, CAL, END), AE/FE lock, exposure level (AE exposure compensation amount, flash exposure compensation amount, manual exposure level, AEB range, red-eye reduction lamp ON indicator), flash-ready indicator, FE lock underexposure warning, high-speed sync (FP flash), Eye Control icon, flash exposure compensation icon, AF/MF in-focus indicator
- Depth-of-field Preview: Depth-of-field preview button.
- [Exposure Control]
- Metering modes: TTL max. aperture metering with a 35-zone silicon photocell.
- (1) Evaluative metering (linked to all focusing points)
- (2) Partial metering (approx. 10% of viewfinder area at center)
- (3) Centerweighted averaging metering
- Exposure Control Methods: (1) Program AE (shiftable)
- (2) Shutter speed-priority AE
- (3) Aperture-priority AE
- (4) Depth-of-field AE (non-shiftable)
- (5) Full Auto (non-shiftable)
- (6) Programmed Image Control modes (Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Scene)
- (7) E-TTL program flash AE
- (8) A-TTL program flash AE
- (9) TTL program flash AE
- (10) Manual exposure
- (11) Bulb
- Metering range: EV 1-20 (at 20-degree with 50mm f/1.4 lens, at ISO 100)
- ISO Film speed range: ISO 6-6400 (Set automatically with DX-coded film at ISO 25- 5000.)
- Exposure compensation: (1) Manual exposure compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/2-stop increments.
- (2) AEB: +/-2 stops in 1/2-stop increments (Correct exposure, underexposure, and overexposure sequence).
- AE lock: (1) Auto AE lock In One-Shot AF mode, AE lock applied when focus is achieved.
- (2) Manual AE lock (Enabled in all metering modes with AE lock button.)
- Multiple exposures: Max. 9 multiple exposures (cancelable and resettable anytime). Cancels automatically after all multiple exposures are taken.
- Camera shake warning: In the Basic Zone modes, if the shutter speed set automatically is slower than the reciprocal of the lens focal length, the shutter speed display blinks at 2 Hz.
- Type: TTL-SIR with a CMOS sensor
- Focusing points: 0.7
- AF working range: EV 1-18 (at ISO 100)
- Focusing modes: (1) One-Shot AF
- Autofocus stops and locks when focus is achieved.
- (2) AI Servo AF
- Focuses the moving subject continuously up to the start of exposure. When focus is achieved, the in-focus indicator does not light (blinks at 2 Hz only if AF fails) and the beeper does not sound.
- (3) AI Focus AF
- Switches automatically between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF to suit the subject.
- (4) Manual focusing
- Enabled with the focusing ring when the lens focus mode is set to MF (or M).
- In-focus indicator: (1) Flashing focusing point superimposed in viewfinder.
- (2) In-focus indicator in viewfinder.
- (3) Beeper sounds (can be disabled).
- Focusing point selection: (1) Automatic selection: Camera-selected.
- (2) Manual selection: One of 7 focusing points user-selected with focusing point selector and focusing point selection keys.
- (3) Eye Control: Focusing point eye-selected. Selected focusing point indicator..Superimposed in viewfinder and displayed on LCD panel.
- AF-assist light: Built-in flash fires intermittent burst automatically. Effective range: Approx. 4.5 meters at center, Approx. 4 meters at periphery.
- [Eye Control]
- Type: Eye position detected by IREDs.
- Calibration: Up to five calibration settings can be stored (Intelligent feature provided).
- Type: Vertical-travel, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled.
- Shutter speeds: 30 sec. to 1/4000 sec. in 1/2-stop increments, bulb, X-sync at 1/125 sec.
- Shutter release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release.
- Self-timer: Electronically-controlled with 10-sec. delay.
- [Film Transport]
- Film loading: Automatic advance to frame 1.
- Film advance: Automatic film advance with built-in motor.
- (1) Single (2) Continuous (approx. 4 fps max.).
- Film rewind: Automatic at the end of the roll. (Silent or high-speed rewind enabled with C.Fn-1.)
- (Rewind speed switchable with midroll rewind button during rewind.)
- Film rewind time and noise with 24-ex. film (36-ex. film): Silent mode: Approx. 13 (18) sec. / Approx. 48 dB High-speed mode: Approx. 5 (8) sec. / Approx. 55 dB
- [Built-in Flash]
- Type: Retractable TTL automatic flash (serially controlled) on pentaprism with auto pop-up and focusing point-linked, 3-zone autoflash metering.
- Guide No.: Guide No. 13 (at ISO 100 in meters)
- Recycling time: Approx. 2 sec.
- Flash coverage: 28mm lens angle covered.
- Firing preconditions: (1) Automatic pop-up and firing in low-light or backlit conditions in the Full Auto, Portrait, Close-up, and Night Scene modes.
- (2) In Creative Zone modes: Manual pop-up and firing.
- Flash exposure compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/2-stop increments.
- [Date and Time Imprinting (QD Model only)]
- Type: Quartz clock with built-in auto calendar and liquid-crystal display.
- Time span: Jan. 1, 1994 to Dec. 31, 2019, 0:00 to 23:59
- Imprinting format: (1) Month, day, year (2) Day, month, year (3) Year, month, day (4) Day, hour, minute (5) Blank
- Power source: One CR2025 lithium battery
- [Other Specifications]
- Flash contacts: X-sync on hot shoe.
- Speedlite compatibility: Compatible with E-TTL/A-TTL/TTL autoflash.
- Custom Functions: 13 Custom Functions (C.Fn-1 to C.Fn-13) with 34 settings
- Remote control: (1) Wired remote control with RS-60E3.
- (2) Wireless remote control with RC-1.
- Power source: Two CR123A (or DL123A) lithium batteries
- Battery check: One of four battery levels is displayed when the Command Dial is released from OFF.
- Dimensions: 146.7 (W) x 103 (H) x 69 (D) mm (5.78 x 4.06x 2.72 in.)
- Weight: 580 g (20.5 oz) (body only, excluding batteries)
- Non-QD model: 575 g (20.3 oz) (body only, excluding batteries)